Hello, I'm Joanne and I'm a registered accredited counsellor: I'm listed on a register that has been accredited by the Professional Standards Authority. I work with individuals and couples with their emotional well-being. I currently work independently in my own private practice and also for a charitable organisation. I run Mindfulness/Stress Management courses for individuals and in the work place. In the past I have delivered courses for various different companies including Sainsbury's Supermarket, Romford: Fords, Aveley and Barnardo's.
I also work part time as a Family Support Worker for Barnardo's. My work there involves working with families who are experiencing problems and challenges with themselves and/or their children's emotional and physical development and well-being, their relationships, finances, housing, domestic abuse, depression, anxiety, stress etc. From 2007 to 2012 I worked as a Health Improvement Practitioner for the NHS which involved assisting families with weight loss and encouraging a healthier lifestyle using very effective behaviour change models and solution focused therapy.
I'm qualified as a MINDFULNESS practitioner which is a practice that can help you to live more in the present moment - by focusing your awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting your feelings and thoughts and paying attention to your physical senses. It helps you to live in the NOW, and is a highly effective practice for gaining a reprieve from anxiety, depression, stress and much more. It is a perfect counteraction to when we have that thinking treadmill in our heads, pondering and musing over things that belong in the FUTURE and the PAST - the technique slows us down and brings us gently back to the present moment. I use Mindfulness successfully with my clients and for myself.
I first accessed counselling myself in my early 20's after experiencing some very difficult and challenging situations in my life and have since had counselling periodically throughout my adult life. For me, talking to a therapist of whom I could trust and was not emotionally involved in my life and who could remain impartial, objective and not judge me was invaluable: it enabled me to eventually view my life experiences from a different perspective and inspired me to train and qualify as a professional therapist, so that now I am able to help others to address their issues and life challenges. I'm a compassionate and understanding person and thankfully possess a good sense of humour, of which has held me in good stead throughout my personal and professional life.
'I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think'. - Socrates
'I am not what has happened to me. I am what I choose to be' - Carl Jung
I am fully insured and DBS certified which is regularly updated. I am a fully qualified member of the National Counselling Society and the Accredited Voluntary Register. I adhere to the National Counselling Society's Ethical Code of Practice. I attend regular CPD courses and have monthly supervision.
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling (MNCS Acc) (AVR) - Accredited Voluntary Register
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
- Diploma in Stress Management GCP (Guild of Complimentary Practitioners)
- Certificate in Nutrition and Health (Intermediate Level ) Awarded with Credit from The Royal Institute of Public Health
- Certificate in Family Support Training – Charitable Organisation
- First Aid at Work Certificate
- CPD Certificate in Working with Dreams
- CPD Certificate in Mindfulness Coaching
- CPD Certificate in Mind Body Connection and Trauma Release
- CPD Certificate in Solution Focused Therapy OSKAR Model
- Certificate in Mindfulness for Well-being and Peak Performance, Monash University
- CPD Certificate Inner Child Work